Monday, May 3, 2010

Quilting meets Card Making


The last time I actually sat down in front of a sewing machine, I was still in high school (Year 10 I think...). I have always admired the awesome work quilters do - Luana's godmother's Mum and one of Mum's friends both make gorgeous quilts and there were some AMAZING quilters in Katherine who raffled off creations periodically but I was never lucky enough to win one. There is also a quilting feature in one of the homemaker magazines I picked up the other day, so I was a bit inspired to try some of the patterns in my cards. The Colour Q Challenge this week inspired me to try out the traditional log cabin design; and I tell you, it's harder than it looks to get all the pieces lined up and exactly the right length.
I'm sure I read somewhere that in the log cabin design, the light colour are on one side and the dark colours are on the opposite representing the light and shade cast by the sun. For those of you who are quilters, please correct me if I'm wrong. I also put a burgandy square in the centre (instead of red) to represent the hearth, but that was covered by the image - oops.
I don't have any DSP in these colours, so made my own patterns with the flowers from Echoes of Kindness and actually fussy cut the entire rose before mounting it on the wide oval with scallop edging which had been sponged with Sage Shadow ink.
Hope you've had a great weekend.
Thanks for visiting!


Stamps: Echoes of Kindness (Level 2 Hostess Stamp)
Card: Bravo Burgandy, Sage Shadow, Always Artichoke, Cameo Coral, Whisper White
Ink: Bravo Burgandy, Sage Shadow, Always Artichoke, Cameo Coral
Punches: Wide Ovel, Scallop Circle, 1 1/4" Circle
Other: Vintage Brads

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Very pretty! I love that stamp! Thanks for playing along with the Colour Q!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Really great card! Good luck!

Annaleah said...

I do love cardmaking very much. i think, it's fun to do especially if you're bored.

Sam said...

I love that quilted look. What a great way to use all the colors for the challenge. PS: I wish I could sew. I see all these beautiful neat rows of stitching on everyones projects and I have "sewing envy".

Sam said...

I love that quilted look Natasha. What a great way to use all the colors in the challenge. I really wish I could sew. I see all those perfect rows of zig zag stitching on everyones projects and have severe sewing envy!

LeAnne said...

Very pretty---you did an awesome job with the log cabin pattern!!! Thanks for using our CQC colors, too!

Arielle H Gordon said...

Beautiful card, Natasha! I love the 'quilting' - so awesome! Thank you so very much for playing along with us at the colourQ this week!